Tuesday, August 19, 2014

NOVA Preparation, Fantasy Style

As the newest contributor to the blog, I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I am the resident fantasy player of the group, yet to make the leap to 40k. I grew up playing both fantasy and 40k with Evan. After a long hiatus I have decided to make the leap back into the hobby. While I do enjoy the painting and fluff of the hobby, my real passion is the gaming side, so the fact that NOVA is fast approaching motivated me to get back into the swing of things.

My army, just about ready for the tourney (now to create a display board!)
I have always had a fondness for Nurgle; the fluff, the models, and the color scheme all draw me in. In my past Warhammer life, I ran a Plague Marine army, so I knew jumping back in that Nurgle was the way to go. Not yet having a great grasp of current Fantasy, I decided Warriors were a better option than trying Daemons.

Sorcerer Lord, BSB, and Festus in all their Nurgly glory
The nicest thing about warriors is how quickly you can build up a force and get to gaming. My local gaming store has games at the 2500 pt level, which I thought would be difficult to reach initially, but as I started making a list I quickly hit 2500 and still had items on my wish list. Prepping for NOVA, I have increased my list to 2800, and after several games of tweaking, have settled on the following:
  • Sorcerer Lord – Mark of Nurgle, Lvl 4, Talisman of Preservation, Dispel Scroll
  • Exalted Hero – BSB, Mark of Nurgle, Halberd, Scaled Skin, Armor of Destiny, Palanquin of Nurgle
  • Festus the Leechlord
  • 5 Warhounds
  • 5 Warhounds
  • 18 Chaos Warriors – Mark of Nurgle, Halberds, Full Command, Standard of Discipline (Sorcerer Lord goes here)
  • 18 Chaos Warriors – Mark of Nurgle, Additional Hand Weapons, Full Command, Banner of Swiftness (Festus goes here)
  • 2 x Chimera – Regenerating Flesh, Flaming Breath
  • 3 x Gorebeast Chariot – Mark of Nurgle
  • Hellcannon


With the tourney quickly closing in, I am just about fully painted, with only Festus and the Hellcannon crew left to go.


In preparation for the tournament, I have been trying to get in as many practice games as possible. I was able to participate in a small local tourney in Culpeper VA that was more of a casual atmosphere than I imagine NOVA will be, but it was a great intro to get a feel for tournament play and I had a great time. I ended up finishing 2nd out of 16 players, tabling my first 2 opponents and then losing convincingly at the top table in the final round. It was a great learning experience and gave me time to tweak my list.

Warriors ready to handle anything the Chimeras and Chariots can't 

I look forward to bringing some fantasy discussion to the site, hopefully I will be able to discuss the release of some new armies soon, as it seems the fantasy updates have taken a bit of a hiatus recently.

One of the few non-Nurgle contingents, but too fun to leave home without!

No comments:

Post a Comment