Sunday, August 18, 2013

Mawloc Project: Final Reveal

This weekend I finally finished my Mawloc. I'll go into the final details after the fold, but first, a side by side comparison with a normal Trygon.

As you can see, despite not using a tail, with the Space Marine victim, he's actually taller than a normal version.

Previous parts are here: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

To get here, I had to finish the Mawloc itself. The black sections needed to be highlighted. I went through and did a mix of Jade Green and black, then pure Jade Green, and final line highlights of Jade Green and white.

Once I finished it, I put the model all together, adding some more putty to close the gap between the base and the torso.

Having the head this far back actually made posing the upper arms difficult because of all the spines off the head.

Next up was the space marine, who I chose to paint as a 3rd Company Ultramarine, partly as an excuse to tie in the paint to the Mawloc, and also because the 3rd Company banner features a Genestealer head.

Once I was done with the basic paintjob (3 layers of blue, including edge highlights), I moved on to trying my hand at Object Source Lighting painting. I thinned first an orange which was painted on most of the pieces facing the flame. Next was thinned yellow, followed by small amounts of white. I might have overdone it a bit, but I figure that a flamer's light source would be pretty intense in comparison to a glowing power coil.

And with that, and waiting (impatiently) for the tongue to solidly glue to the back of the marine, the Mawloc was done.

 Hope you like it. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment