Monday, July 29, 2013

Nova Bound: Second Update

I took most of last week off, from blogging, work, and hobbying, for my anniversary. And then we got a puppy.

You Shall Not Work!
I still managed to get a bit more time in at the painting table and learned that I was overly optimistic at saying those termagants were 75%. They were closer to half done, which I finished up.


I painted the fleshy bits putrid green, hit some spots with black wash, went back and touched up the black while also painting the bases, then highlighted the bases. Finally, I touched up the red where I hit it when basing and added a small edge highlight on some of the plates/crests with I believe Wazdakka Red. In the end, I think I needed to batch these separately as I tended to get lazy by the second half of each coat, which probably resulted in more mistakes than if I'd painted them in two batches.


After these guys, and with the puppy keeping me from getting undivided time at the table, I worked more on assembling bits. I cleaned pieces to assemble 10 hormagaunts, which are still waiting on arms and heads. I also got a little work in on the Mawloc Project.

I started by building up a mile of plastic as a base which I would put putty over.


I just used bits of spare sprue to make a pile, then once I figured I had enough, I glued the pieces into place, using the bottom of the torso as a guide.


Once that dried, I slathered on some putty, using the torso again to judge where it should go.


I tilted the body back a little to make it so the head could be nearly vertical.

Comparing it to my Trygon, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the height difference actually won't be too bad, particularly once I get a guardsman overhead.


I'm thinking now that the guardsman will be facing up, with the flame gout adding just that little bit extra to match the height. My next steps are to put sand and rocks down on the puttied portion, and then start to fit the cork over that. I figure the bottom set of arms will end up as part of the base for painting since they're actually emerging from beneath.

That's it for my progress last week, leaving me with this updated to-do list:

Must Complete:
  1. Mawloc Project
  2. Paint 8 Devourer Termagants
  3. Paint/Repaint ~ 40 Termagants
    1. 33 Assembled
    2. 17 painted
  4. Paint/Repaint ~ 20 Hormagaunts
    1. ~12 assembled, ~4 broken from base, 16 need stripping/painting updated, 10 partially assembled
  5. Second Flyrant converted from 3rd Edition Hive Tyrant
  6. Magnetized Mawloc/Trygon
  7. Paint 3 Zoanthropes
    1. Based
  8. Paint/Repaint 3 Biovores
    1. 2 Assembled
Stretch Goals:
  1. Display Board
  2. Model and Paint 1+ Mycetic Spore
  3. 10+ Gargoyles
  4. 10 Devilgants
  5. 10 Hormagaunts
  6. 2 Tyrant Guard
  7. 4 Hive Guard
  8. Doom of Malan'tai Conversion
I demoted the Gargoyles since I really don't think I will get to them. I should also be getting my Battle Foam in this week, so once I have that together, I'll start looking for opportunities to do some playtesting in the area.