Thursday, December 10, 2015

Painting: Malifaux Gremlins

My hobby time recently has been focused on my Gremlins, and I've been pretty happy with the progress I've made so far. Last weekend, I put the finishing touches on The Kin crew box, as well as several other models that were of interest or partially painted already.

I've also been putting all my minis on Cool Mini or Not bases, that I think add a lot to the models. They also take a bit longer to paint up than normal bases. I'll also probably need more, particularly of the small ones. While I'm at it I might pick up another themed set for my other faction minis, as these cooperate a bit better with plastic models than metal base inserts.

I'm pretty happy with the balance I'm striking so far between detail and speed in getting these models done. I'm trying to keep the clothing fairly haphazard, so that's definitely increasing the time to paint as I'm using 10+ paints on each model, and probably close to 20 across all the gremlins.


As a Master, I painted Ophelia more or less on her own (after the skin base coats with the airbrush a couple months ago). Sticking with the Western theme, she has a fairly limited color palette consisting primarily of browns, with denim and silver (and green skin) as the accents. Her shirt was actually painted white and then dirtied up a little - other members of the crew with white clothing started at a bone or darker. Similarly, her black hat is darker with less fading than others in the crew, and her gun and other metal elements are a brighter silver. All this is to indicate her stuff is just a little better.


Next up is Francois, who might be one of my favorites since he is Clint Eastwood from A Fistful of Dollars. He was actually the first Gremlin model I had finished, and for a long time was just waiting on getting the bases. On his base, I had fun painting a little Wanted poster for him (though it's too small to really paint much of actual writing).

The rest of the crew was largely done in small batches, with some fun details like on the female young LaCroix (flame OSL and patterns on her dress) and Pere Ravage (flame OSL) and rust on the guns of Rami and Raphael.


After finishing out The Kin, I also jumped in on painting some other models that caught my eye or were close at hand, including a near auto-take Lenny and Slop Hauler. First up was Burt Jebsen, who got some details like a shirt to match his inspiration, Jack Burton, of Big Trouble in Little China.


I was also able to wrap up the War Wabbit, who was an Easter Special Edition model.




All in all, I'm pretty happy with the progress I've been able to make on my Gremlins. Next up will likely be Som'er Teeth Jones and/or Wong and their crews. It's possible I'll also get distracted when my Black Friday orders arrive, which include the remaining Gremlin Masters.

No comments:

Post a Comment