Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Hello, World!

My name is Evan and I'm a warhammer-holic, a miniature hoarder, a collector and gamer.

I first got into Warhammer, primarily 40k when I was around 11 during 2nd Ed, where I started out with the Tyranids. When 3rd edition came out, I switched over to the cool new Dark Eldar (temporarily anyway). About the same time, I expanded further into fantasy.

I played with a close friend and at my local Games Workshop all through high school, and even worked for GW one summer after I graduated. I brought a good bit of my minis and paints to college with me, but between lack of space in the dorms and all the other things to take my attention, I only broke out the minis once or twice the whole year. As a result, I left them at home the following year and slowly drifted away from the hobby, occasionally picking up something to paint when I went home.

Last Summer, 2012, a college buddy of mine was moving into town and mentioned that he had been getting into 40k. It didn't take much of a push  for me to fall off the wagon and dive back into the hobby, particularly with me having, for the first time in my life, some disposable income.

As the title of the blog implies, I face a dilemma I think many fellow gamers face, in that my purchases outstrip my ability and desire to assemble and model. As I mentioned above, I collected a few different armies, but that's selling my addiction short; I rarely stuck with a single project for long, though I would come back from time to time, and instead would constantly be yearning and planning my next glorious empire. As a result, my collection spiraled out to include:

40K:

  • Tyranids - All told, ~ 4-5,000 points
  • Dark Eldar ~ 4,000 points
  • Orks (Originally Kult of Speed) ~4,500 points
  • Tau ~ 1,500-2,000 points
  • Necrons ~ 1,000 points
  • Eldar ~ 1,500 points
  • Space Marines ~ 500 points
Fantasy:
  • Wood Elves ~ 1,500 points
  • Dark Elves ~ 4,000 points
  • Skaven ~ 2,500 points
  • High Elves ~1,500 points
Add to that all sorts of random miniatures I bought either planning on starting something new or just because I liked the minis. Now, I'm not saying I have the biggest collection in the world, and relatively speaking, my collections are fairly small. 

My hope in creating this blog is not to show off, proclaim myself as anything, but instead, catalog the trials, tribulations, and temptations common to all wargamers. Some entries will pertain to the hobby side - painting and converting and making terrain. Others will focus on the gaming aspects - rules, battle reports, tactics. My hope is to keep the two sides fairly balanced, as well as admitting to the balancing act it takes to live a life alongside the hobby. 

I hope you will join me on my journey, and share your own insights, stories, advice, and, of course, pictures. While I expect that I will start out with posts exclusively about my own work in the hobby, I dare to dream that we can establish a community that contributes stories and spotlights the work and play of others. 

2 comments: