Tuesday, February 2, 2016

NOVA Bound 2016 - Early List Building

With NOVA passes going on sale last night, it's already that time of year to start thinking about what I will be taking and what events I will participate in. I haven't totally committed yet, but I'm fully expecting to play in the 40k GT again this year; who knows what the meta landscape will be like in 7 months' time, but at least for now I can start building my plan.


The first option is to build off my Arachnophobia list from last year. Coming out of NOVA, I wanted to drop 3 Warp Spiders for a second unit of Tomb Blades. This isn't bad, but last year also didn't include Super Heavies/Gargantuan Creatures, while this year will, so I expect to see Wraithknights and maybe some Stormsurges and Imperial Knights of both generic and FW varieties.



The other idea is to drop one Canoptek Harvest and take a second Aspect Host of either 3x5 Warp Spiders, or 2x5 Warp Spiders and a unit of 6 Swooping Hawks. The benefit to this selection is that I will only need a couple more Warp Spiders and paint them and some Hawks (I have a scheme I want to try in mind) and that will be it.

Alternatively, I could drop the Aspect Host for a Riptide Wing. I've tried a similar list and was unimpressed but it could be worth some more playtesting. Like the addition of the Aspect Host above, this will only require me to acquire and paint one (or more) additional Riptide.


Alternatively, I would be interested in coming up with a new army to paint, however, the idea of buying most of a strong list is less than appealing. I only have half the Marines I would need for Gladius, and none of the Jetbikes I would need for an Eldar solo list. I've also been intrigued by Skitarii, but again, the idea of starting an army from scratch when I have a considerable backlog is not appealing.

If I decide to go in a different direction entirely and not try to make top bracket again, I could go with a fun Tyranid list I've come up with:

  • Hive Tyrant: Wings, Reaper of Obliterax, Old Adversary, Adrenal Glands
  • Hive Tyrant: Wings, Lash Whip and Bonesword, Old Adversary, Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs
  • Malanthrope
  • 30 Termagants
  • Tervigon: Crushing Claws
  • Dimachaeron
  • Harpy
  • Carnifex: Adrenal Glands, Crushing Claws
  • Carnifex: Adrenal Glands, Crushing Claws
  • Stone Crusher Carnifex: Bio-flail
  • Void Shield Generator: 3 Projected Void Shields
While that list should be fun to play, I don't expect to go more than 0.500, and I'm not sure I don't want to compete for a the top bracket again. As such, my likely list is some variation on my Necrons from last year, which makes my To-Do list look something like this:
  • Must Do:
    • 5-9 Warp Spiders
  • Potentially might do: 
    • 6 Swooping Hawks
    • Riptide
    • 3 Tomb Blades
  • Stretch Goals:
    • All of the Malifaux Gremlins - because reasons.
So who else is going to NOVA? And what events are you planning on participating in? Look forward to seeing a bunch of you in September. 

No comments:

Post a Comment